Photogrammar is a web-based platform for organizing, searching, and visualizing the 170,000 photographs from 1935 to 1945 created by the United State’s Farm Security Administration and Office of War Information (FSA-OWI).
Selfiecity investigates selfies using a mix of theoretic, artistic and quantitative methods:
- findings about the demographics of people taking selfies, their poses and expressions.
- Rich media visualizations (imageplots) assemble thousands of photos to reveal interesting patterns.
- The interactive selfiexploratory allows you to navigate the whole set of 3200 photos.
- Finally, theoretical essays discuss selfies in the history of photography, the functions of images in social media, and methods and dataset.
The project is part of Lev Manovich’s Software Studies Initiative that covers two directions:
1) Study of software and cyberinfrastructure and their deployment in modern societies using approaches from humanities, cultural criticism, and social sciences.
2) Use software-based research methods and next generation cyberinfrastructrure tools and resources for the study of massive sets of visual cultural data, asking theoretical questions which are important for humanities.
I Dream of Selfies – article on project in Hyperallergic
Great project I came across today.
matrilineage by Rebecca Mushtare
from Rebecca Mushtare’s website:
Matrilineage is an archive of stories about technology. Each story reflects on a technological development that has been life-changing, a technological dependency/necessity, or an object of personal meaning.
Four generations of women in my family share their stories on Matrilineage.net. Scan their QR codes to directly access their stories. In addition, scanning the “You” code will take you to a form to contribute to the archive.
excellent interactive storytelling/news report
Technology must empower people and make them feel awesome. It should assist and connect them, be unobtrusive and meaningful. Through designing interactive products, we try to achieve this every day.
We do everything to make working with us a pleasure. Accuracy and excellent quality are most important, we are responsive, uncomplicated and friendly.