Selfiecity investigates selfies using a mix of theoretic, artistic and quantitative methods:
- findings about the demographics of people taking selfies, their poses and expressions.
- Rich media visualizations (imageplots) assemble thousands of photos to reveal interesting patterns.
- The interactive selfiexploratory allows you to navigate the whole set of 3200 photos.
- Finally, theoretical essays discuss selfies in the history of photography, the functions of images in social media, and methods and dataset.
The project is part of Lev Manovich’s Software Studies Initiative that covers two directions:
1) Study of software and cyberinfrastructure and their deployment in modern societies using approaches from humanities, cultural criticism, and social sciences.
2) Use software-based research methods and next generation cyberinfrastructrure tools and resources for the study of massive sets of visual cultural data, asking theoretical questions which are important for humanities.
I Dream of Selfies – article on project in Hyperallergic